July 31st is National Avocado Day, and it definitely deserves to be celebrated right. As such a versatile food, there are endless possibilities of recipes to make with them and plenty of new dishes to try. And, as a plus, being a natural fat, avocados and your digestive system go hand in hand!
Avocados offer a variety of healthy nutrients that are beneficial for your gut, such as Vitamin K, Vitamin B, Vitamin E, and healthy fats. They’re also packed with dietary fibers that help out your digestive system. Not to mention they are super delicious. No matter how much extra guac costs, you better believe we’ll pay it!
So what are you waiting for? AvacaDON’T waste another second and try some of our favorite avocado recipes thrown together by our friends at Virtua Health!
Holy Moly Guacamole
What’s better than creamy, fresh, homemade guacamole bursting with flavor? Our mouths are watering already. This simple and quick guac recipe is the perfect addition to any taco, sandwich, and even salty tortilla chips.
• 4 ripe avocados
• ¼ cup red onion (diced)
• ¼ cup cilantro (chopped)
• ½ of a jalapeño (chopped)
• 1 lemon
• 1 lime
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• Salt to taste
• Mash avocados in a bowl with a fork to break them down into chunks. You can mash them to your liking — bigger pieces will lead to chunkier guacamole.
• Dice up red onion and chop cilantro and jalapeño until small enough that the flavors won’t be overwhelming with each bite. Add to avocado mixture and fold in.
• Squeeze the juices of one lemon and one lime into the bowl.
• Add in olive oil and salt to taste. Mix together and enjoy with your favorite chips!
Classic Avocado Toast
If you’re looking for a classic pick-me-up on a weekday morning or a weekend brunch idea, this avocado toast is the recipe for you. Fresh avocado with eggs and toast – what’s better than that?!
• 2 pieces of a bread of your liking
• 1 avocado
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• 2 eggs
• Start by making your avocado mash. Take avocado, olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and combine in a bowl, mashing up the avocado to a size of your liking.
• Pop 2 pieces of your favorite bread in the toaster to put the mash onto.
• While bread is toasting, prepare 2 eggs to any style you like. (We recommend sunny-side up, but scrambled, poached, and even egg whites work too!
• Once toast is done, spread avocado mask on top and drizzle a little extra olive oil on top. Serve with 2 eggs, (one on each piece of toast), and enjoy!
• BONUS: feel free to add whatever else you would like to on your toast! This could also be a base, you can add cheese, tomatoes, onions – whatever your heart desires!
Creamy Avocado Pasta
Looking for a healthier pasta dinner alternative? Look no further. This pasta recipe is a healthy alternative to an Alfredo or pesto sauce that tastes (in our opinion) even better!
• 1 box of spaghetti or linguine
• 2 avocados
• ½ cup of fresh basil
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 1 lemon
• ½ cup of olive oil
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 teaspoons pepper
• Cherry tomatoes (optional)
• Feta (optional)
• Boil water (don’t forget to add salt!) and cook pasta as desired. Strain and put back in pasta pot once done.
• In a food processor, combine avocados (skinned and de-seeded), basil, garlic, the juice of 1 lemon, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Once creamy, taste and add more salt and pepper as desired.
• Pour avocado sauce into pasta pot and stir until all pasta is coated. Add cherry tomatoes and feta cheese if desired and enjoy!
If you’ve been dealing with tummy issues, our friends at Virtua can help! They’ve built a comprehensive digestive health program designed to help with gut issues, big or small. Connect with their team today!