Get Cooking With These 3 Healthy Summer Recipes
July is here and summer cookouts are in full swing, which means it’s time to get outside, test your grilling skills, and hang out with friends and family. It also means it’s time to figure out what you need to bring to the party.
And sure, you could stop at the grocery store and bring a boring potato salad. But if you want to impress your friends, our partners at Virtua Health have 3 simple and healthy recipes to get you started.
Homemade Turkey Burgers – Servings 4
While it’s almost impossible to beat the classic cheeseburger these healthy turkey burgers will give them a run for their money.
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 4 hamburger rolls (Old Tyme 647 if possible)
- 4 slices Fat-Free American Cheese
- Mix turkey, breadcrumbs, garlic, and an egg in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Shape into 4 even patties
- Grill on medium heat for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until they are fully cooked. (165*F internal temperature). Add 1 slice of cheese to each burger and put the buns on the grill to toast for 30 seconds before removing the burgers.
- Remove buns and assemble the burger (additional toppings optional).
3 Layer Parfait – 4 servings
Need a last-minute party pleaser? These parfaits are quick, easy, and sure to be a hit.
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1 cup of non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- Honey – Optional
- Rinse the fruit and cut the strawberries into quarters.
- Assemble the parfaits in this order. First, add ½ cup of blueberries to your serving cup. Then add ¼ of the yogurt in a layer above the blueberries. Lastly, add ½ cup strawberries on top.
- Optional for some added sweetness drizzle some honey on the top.
Multi-Color Roasted Potatoes – 6 servings
Who doesn’t love a delicious plate of potatoes? This healthy alternative to fries is sure to be a hit.
- 2/3-pound blue potatoes
- 2/3-pound red potatoes
- 2/3-pound yellow potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Herbs (Chopped, Rosemary, Parsley, Thyme, Basil)
- ½ Teaspoons Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Toss potatoes in a large bowl with olive oil and all listed seasonings.
- Arrange potatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer evenly spaced.
- Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes or until a fork can easily go through the potato.
- Serve on your choice of a plate or bowl.
We hope you get the chance to try these healthy recipes. Either way, enjoy your summer cookouts. And if your summer gets slowed down due to unexpected stomach issues, connect with a specialist at Virtua GI & Digestive Health. Their team of gut-health experts will ensure everything runs smoothly down there, literally.
5 Mindfulness Activities to Calm Your Mind